Monday, January 10, 2011

No, I don't want to "talk about" your exam

The college where I did my undergrad had the habit of printing your rank in your class along with your yearly grade report; the top student in each class got a small prize, usually a book. At the end of my third year, I was happy to read on my report that I ranked first out of thirty-something electrical engineers (it was a small college).

I left for the summer and returned for my senior year, but hadn't received my prize.  When I asked around, it turned out that the second-place finisher had complained to all our profs about his exam grades, and managed to get enough extra marks to take first place -- my book became his.

I realize it's a small, petty thing to remember after all these years.  But I think about it every time a student comes to my office wanting to "talk about" their mark on the final exam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. To be completely honest, I would remember that too.